No matter how crowded and hectic emergency rooms can get, all medical attendants in the area must act with reasonable care and within the medical standards. Otherwise, emergencies that medical professionals could have adequately addressed may turn into more critical situations.
Simple errors that can cause life-threatening consequences
In emergency rooms, an act or inaction that may seem so simple can actually cause serious harm to patients. This includes, but is not limited to, the following circumstances:
- Failure to run vital tests and other appropriate medical assessment
- Failure to attend to and treat patients within a reasonable time
- Failure to communicate critical information to the doctor
- Incorrect diagnosis and failure to diagnose
- Ordering the incorrect treatment or prescribing the wrong medication
- Refusal to care for a patient because of lack of ability to pay or insurance
These emergency mistakes can cause more severe injuries or, in worst cases, patient deaths.
Establishing the next step for emergency room error victims
Patients go to emergency rooms with the hope and trust that the medical professionals will care for them. Unfortunately, this is not the case for everyone.
If you obtained an injury or illness because of the negligence of an emergency room staff, whether they are a doctor, nurse or other medical practitioner, you must look into your options. Depending on the circumstances surrounding your case, you can recover compensation for the medical malpractice. With the assistance of a legal professional, it is essential to meticulously establish your evidence and build a solid case.